Not a MeowBit Issue but...

post 'your questions here please. Search first and see if it's been answered, and we DO hope you read the FAQ and Install info on the site. If you didn't, we'll tell you to RTFM. lol. If you did and you still have questions, we're happy to hear them!

Not a MeowBit Issue but...

Postby OneLessBrick » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your efforts both with the MeowBit windows package and spreading the word about Namecoin etc.

I was going to post on the Namecoin forum but seeing as MeowBit was my entry path maybe it would make more sense to discuss my issue here - if you disagree I am happy to head off elsewhere. Hopefully this post will help anyone who is also totally new to both Cryptocurrency and other Cryptoservices and also provide some useful feedback to you guys, which may help you make things easier for other early adopters. I'm way over 20 and probably sit somewhere towards the middle of what I would consider average users, with some more advanced knowledge in some aspects of IT mainly web based. Most definitely not a power user, primarily windows with some basic linux abilities, and zero knowledge of using Cryptocurrencies although I understand the concepts etc. The centralisation of the domain registration authorities has always bothered me so I would like to do my bit to promote Namecoin and associated technologies. :)

Setting up MeowBit was relatively painless following your Install Guide and single pass over your Tutorial page.

This first issue I had was trying to find information on installing the wallet that was useful to a totally new user on the Namecoin site and forum. In fact I abandoned my search there and found a ytube guide, which solved my initial problems in a few minutes, after a frustrating experience on the Namecoin projects site. Here's a link to the guide for installing the Namecoin Wallet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezo1t90QLFQ maybe you could add the link to your installation guide, as it may be helpful to others? IMHO the guide could do with a little more info at the end, demonstrating opening the wallet etc. It's also a little confusing because to someone coming into this blind may think that the namecoind.exe is the wallet GUI (namecoin-qt.exe). It's also not clear if the namecoind.exe is required to run as some sort of service. I assume it isn't as once you run namecoin-qt.exe the wallet loads and syncs the bloclchain (it also take a bit of time for that process initiate and become evident).

In that yt guide he explains how to obtain the namecoin address but fails to explain exactly where and when it should be used. In your Tutorial you mention that there will be an address in the address book. On my system the Wallet doesn't show the address visually but if I try and add the address I'm informed that the address already exists in the address book. Confused! :?

Once the Namecoin Wallet had synced with the Blockchain the installation of Meowbit was painless, so I moved on to the next stage, which is where I have hit a bit of a wall. I don't have a means of making purchases on-line so buying some Namecoin isn't an option for me (obviously that's not going to be the case for the majority of people out there). No problem I thought I will take this opportunity to learn about the mining aspect. :) After a bit of searching I came across this useful blog post How to mine Namecoin which provides the tools as well as set-up instructions.

Following the Mining guide I managed to get as far as achieving a successful test using the provided tools. For some reason when I try to actually mine for real I'm unable to get a connection?

I'm using a Win7 i5 laptop which has an HD5470 GPU that seems to be supported. To start off my tests I have opted to go solo using CGMiner 3.9.2 and the current Namecoin Wallet 0.37.2 which is in sync with the Blockchain.

I now have two .conf files the first being the one required to set-up the wallet bitcoin.conf and the second namecoin.conf. I haven't found a clear explanation as to how the .conf are processed, so I have tried using both at the same time (I assume only one is allowed) and also with the bitcoin.conf renamed to prevent it from being used.

Here's the content of each .conf

bitcoin.conf which I assume isn't configured to mine? Should I make changes to this file which would allow it to pass the required info for mining?
Code: Select all
rpcuser=AUserName
rpcpassword=AUserPW
rcpport=8336
daemon=1

namecoin.conf when I ran the test mining .bat against the test pool my fire wall requested a rule to be applied - but using this .conf no notification is given by the FW. The IP address is the one assigned to the machine running the scripts, the rest is as per instructions.
Code: Select all
rpcuser=AUserName
rpcpassword=AUserPW
rpcallowip=192.168.43.101
rpcport=18334
daemon=1
server=1
gen=0

The Blockchain syncs in the Wallet with either .conf file. I restart the wallet after making changes to the .conf files etc.

This is as far as I can manage to go after spending quite a bit of time messing about locally and searching. I'm probably using the wrong keywords in my searches as I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing...clueless would probably be more accurate. :oops:

Thanks in advance for any advice or clues etc.

P.S. I came from Jan's site after hearing you on gnosticmedia.com >'o'<
OneLessBrick
Beta Tester

Re: Not a MeowBit Issue but...

Postby Derrick » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:46 pm

Thanks so much for your post. I'm glad the MeowBit install went well, and I completely understand your frustrations with the Namecoin wallet.

NamecoinD and Namecoin-qt are for the most part the same program, but Namecoin-qt has the user interface, where Namecoind just runs in the background. Either will work with MeowBit, but Namecoin-qt is more useful.

I am planning to make and possibly optionally bundle the Namecoin wallet download with MeowBit for ease of installation; but in the meantime we will get these suggestions on the Namecoin client install added to the Install FAQ

As far as obtaining Namecoin. It's not likely that you will be able to solo mine them with a single GPU (or even many), there are some Bitcoin mining pools which support merged mining; this means you can mine for Bitcoin and Namecoin at the same time. Alternatively, if you already have some Bitcoin, you can exchange Bitcoin for Namecoin relatively easily on many alt-coin exchanges.

After some hesitation because I don't want this to sound like an endorsement, I will mention that I mine on http://btcguild.com not because I think that is the best place to mine, but because that's the one I use and I have nothing bad to report about them. I hope that other users who mine might share other pools that they have had good experiences with.

BTC Guild has some info here on how to get set up using CGMiner. Those instructions are similar to other popular pools.

I'm glad you caught us on Gnostic Media; I really enjoying talking with Jan.

If I can help any further please reply, I didn't want to go on and on so that you can get this info quickly if it might help.
Tips are very appreciated:
  • Namecoin: N2mGx74J8RnEpf1rib6wWp83aSJ5nz51zM
  • Litecoin: LXL8CQDaGNNMvaxsAXnhzJYRB3og3ZCDYq
  • Bitcoin: 1LZpjHh6MUsE1ub8KdVg5FoYiYxvKEtXEc
Referral Link: Buy Namecoin on Cryptsy
Derrick
Site Admin

Postby OneLessBrick » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:19 am

Hi Derrick,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Unfortunately the Namecoin wallet experience would prevent the average person from setting it up - especially if like me this is their first time venturing into this arena. Given how established the Cryptocurrency systems are it's surprisingly difficult to find easy to follow information for newbies. Which is funny because it seems easy to find info about bleeding edge tweaking and modding scripts and hardware. I wouldn't consider myself wet behind the ears and I'm pretty patient with this sort of thing, but I have to say it has been frustrating. As things are right now rapid adoptions is some way off imho, especially for windows users who are accustomed to installers walking them through the whole thing. Not many home users will be up for manually navigating to config files and text editing settings. It needs to be much slicker than that before regular users start cuing up.

I had a feeling that the two .exe's were one in the same and I totally agree the GUI version is much more useful and that's the only way wider adoption will be achieved imho. The three wallets I have looked at leave a lot to be desired visually as well. They look like projects rather than serious applications! Granted they are functional and meet the needs but people respond better to well presented visuals. I think this is even more important when it has a real world value attached, such as a means of exchange with real value that needs to meet peoples expectations of longevity, to establish wider acceptance and trust.

A bundle would make things a little easier but to be honest obtaining the software isn't really the issue imho. The initial setting up was the problem for me because I was/am working blind with no real understanding of how things work. The instructions are relatively simple when things work straight off (once you find them), the problem comes when something doesn't work as expected or a value is required but no explanation of what the value represents. For example there is a requirement for a password and user name in plain text. What's it authenticating to and how does the system manage duplicate user names etc. does a that even matter? What are the security issues relating to those credentials? How do you sync wallets between multiple machines? After the installation of the wallet you receive a system generated address which one would assume is unique to that installation - but then I read your Tutorial and you added addresses for different projects. Is a project like a cookie jar with some cash stuffed in it? Given some time I will eventually find the answers, but when there are consequentness (perceived or real) attached it's nice to know how things work from the get go. The average computer user wont take the risk of making a mistake even more so if there is a financial value in play! I have to manage domains for various people because they are too scared to do it for themselves, even after they have been shown. :roll:

Fear of the unknown is probably the biggest hurdle when expecting a wider audience so anything that removes any areas of doubt needs to be a priority.

I gathered that solo mining was going to be a thankless task but I thought I could manage to scrape enough together to obtain a couple of test domains - financial gain isn't my objective at this stage. My intention was more for the learning experience so I could get a better understanding of how it all works. It's nice to have a grip on the historical aspect of stuff as I find it helps me understand the evolution of things as they develop.

I read some stuff on the merged BTC/NMC mining here and elsewhere...I guess I best investigate that solution further, along with the pooled mining. I can't really see how my laptop and single GPU would be of much value to a pool? :lol: Something like one of the Butterflylabs 10GH miners seems like the minimum viable option to test the waters properly.

Thanks for all the useful links you provided I will have to spend sometime looking into them.

Jan is a good host he covers some interesting stuff and has some great guests on his shows. I have had the odd look at Bitcoin and other related technologies in the past, but never really in any depth. After listening to the recent shows on the subject on gnosticmedia I realise I should have devoted more time to understanding CryproTechnologies. I seriously dropped the ball there and now I need to play catchup! :roll:

I'm sucking up info on the subject so no problem with going on...there's nothing like getting information from people who are passionate about something. I'm sure the information will be more than helpful and thanks again for providing it. :)
OneLessBrick
Beta Tester

Postby Derrick » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:15 am

We've made an installer for Namecoin and it will be released on the MeowBit site later tonight.

The purpose of MeowBit is to bring Dot-Bit name resolution to the desktop for regular users. We've provided some tutorials and links to more info, but we didn't mean to expect average users to be mining Namecoin and setting up dot-bit domains right now, because it's very true that the Namecoin wallet still needs some serious development.

You don't need to set up any usernames or passwords to use MeowBit. As long as the Namecoin wallet, and MeowBit is running you will be able to browse dot-bit sites.

In order to solo mine, you would need to do the things you described, but solo mining doesn't generate a little bit of Namecoin at a time, it generates 50MNC when you solve a block, which is quite a bit; but that would only happen every other year or so (or possibly decade) using a single GPU solo mining. A single GPU in a pool on the other hand will generate a trickle of Namecoin.

Thanks much for your feedback on your frustrations and suggestions for making it simpler. Hopefully the Namecoin Setup program that we will be posting up to the site shortly will help a lot with that.
Tips are very appreciated:
  • Namecoin: N2mGx74J8RnEpf1rib6wWp83aSJ5nz51zM
  • Litecoin: LXL8CQDaGNNMvaxsAXnhzJYRB3og3ZCDYq
  • Bitcoin: 1LZpjHh6MUsE1ub8KdVg5FoYiYxvKEtXEc
Referral Link: Buy Namecoin on Cryptsy
Derrick
Site Admin

Return to Tech Help for MeowBit